Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Sentimental Time of Year

Graduation.

Momma's everywhere will have chicks leaving the nest in the next few weeks. I have one leaving the Kindergarten nest and one leaving the Collegiate nest.

Wait, Ms. Can't Be Wrong, you only have one little birdie.

Yes, you are right, sort of. The Kindergartener is my own flesh and blood. The college student is one of the students in my office. Over the last three years she has worked for me she has been a valuable employee, friend, daughter, sister, you name it. We sort of view life from the same roost.

She gave me a beautiful card earlier this week. I'm not much of card keeper, but this one is an exception.

This card, along with some other things in life, have reminded me of how important it is to stop and say thank you. Not just the automatic, robotic thank you you hear when you hold the door open for someone. Not just the "Hey, thanks, I really appreciate it." with that little wave we all do. I mean, writing your heart down.

But, Ms. Can't Be Wrong ... I'm not a good writer, you see I'm just not that good at words.

Trust me write down how your heart feels whether it's in an e-mail, a twitter message, a face book wall post, or a hand written note. I promise, no matter how short or long your thoughts are, they WILL mean the world to the recipient.

Don't just stand there get those words out of your heart and on a page of some sort. Tell your chicks, whether they are leaving the nest or not, how thankful you are for them.

I'm off to send a note myself ... to two young men who made my little guy feel like he was big stuff and worth a million bucks!

No comments: